Okay, so my goal of "spotlighting" someone special in my life hasn't gone as planned...one a week on Wed., but I am still close enough. Onto Sara...
Sara Jane Rice Dormon entered this world just a shrilling a July 4th a long, long time ago. Walker says that she was roaming with the dino, but she isn't that old she is in her 60's. Her life as a child wasn't an easy one. She has many a stories on her childhood, but never uses them as an excuse or let them handicap her she just has stories. As a child she also thought that the July 4th fireworks were for her, but around 5 or 6 she soon realized the real meaning for the fireworks! Education was a priority for her so was living a rough life. Alcohol, drugs and sex were a honest distraction and ones that were popular for the day. She got into many ify situations and ones that are heart wrenching. (They are her stories to tell, so I will not share them here). These experiences helped carve out what she was going to do in her life and made her the Sara we all love today. Eventually, she met and married Bill. He had two kids from a previous marriage and she took them as her own. They added two boys to their brood in a few short years. When the boys were young, Sara felt a calling for God to help unwed pregnant girls. The family opened their home and life to girls who were pregnant. Now they wouldn't take in girls (plural) they would only take in one at a time. The Dormon's treated every girl like their own and loved them entirely! The boys were understanding with their mother's time and emotions. They accepted the girls like their parents did and treated them kindly. They even hung out with the girls. This leads into our meeting...
I came to met Sara in March of 05 when I was 5 months pregnant with my little girl. I had previously been in an unwed mother's home in Fla. I spent every waking moment in that home miserable; all I wanted was to be home! Being who I am my mom got a call everyday just to remind her how miserable I was! After a couple months in the home mom called me and said, "I had lunch with the women in Pa that I have every year. During our lunch I asked all the ladies to pray for you and one said that you could live with her." Immediately I asked, "Can I bring my car?" Mom said, "yes" and informed me of all the other perks. I would have two boys around my age to hang out with, my bedroom would be in the basement with a fridge and TV and I would have my freedom back. That was all she said and I was on board! Over the next couple of days I spoke to Sara on the phone and even talked to her son David. By the end of the week I was driving to Philadelphia! I was so scared! Not only was I pregnant, but I was going to live with a complete stranger. Oh, Dear! I said my goodbyes to my mom and started to adjust living with the Dormons! There wasn't much to adjust too! I felt welcomed and loved immediately! At first I was taken back by the laughter at the dinner table and the conversation! I soon realized I could be myself and let my hair down. Over the course of the next few months Sara home schooled me so I could remain with my class when I returned to school. She also walked with me through the most agonizing decision I will ever make...To release my little girl to a loving family in Atlanta, Ga. She spent many a nights and days just talking to me! She soon became my friend and another mom for me! She held my leg that July night as I gave birth to my precious first born! She opened her home to my mom, the adoptive family and to me with the baby. Patiently, she waited five agonizing days before I would have enough strength to give my daughter over the the loving couple. With a baptism and a farewell ceremony I was on my way home! Little did I know that this woman would continue to be apart of my life. Every couple of days I would get a call from her or a package of some sorts from her.
At home I tried to deal with my pain as best as I could. My school mates were not kind about my choice. I lived in a community where you kept your kid no matter what, so It was not an easy dealings. I was in so much pain! It is indescribable, there are no words that are powerful enough to describe the pain...None, not even hell...it is much worse. The only one who understood was Sara. She had been there before, but my pain was so consuming I pushed her away. Never once did she look away she was there whether I wanted her or not. 7 short months after I gave birth I did what the statistics warned about; I was pregnant again. Sara was not surprised, but my mom sure was! Mom sent me back to Sara's to spend the summer before I went off to college. Sara and I discussed my options again and I told her; "I won't survive another adoption. I will be dead in a year." She understood completely. I left her house to go to college and tried to live a normal life. In late Nov. I gave birth to my baby boy, Walker...my saving grace! He straightened me right up! Not that I didn't fall, but I knew it was bigger than me! Another story for another day!
A year and a half flew by...I eventually got tired of the small town and went to live with Sara (again). I have been here ever since!!!! She has been a mom to me when my mom couldn't be. She has been a friend to me when I had none. She has encouraged me, been a grandmother for Walker, been my biggest fan, been a role model of a mom/person, a babysitter for nights out, a church counselor, praying partner, cook and did I mention a mom all to me!!! That is just me folks, imagine what she does for other people?! She is an amazing human being. I am so grateful the Lord blessed me with this woman! I have a true advocate in her! I call her our adopted mom and grand mom. I consider her family my family. The boys are my brothers, Bill is a dad and she is my mom/grand mom. I am so fortunate to have twice as much love. I feel like I am adopted and loved by so many!
Sara, thanks for always being there! I could never pay you back what you have done for me! May God give you many treasures in heaven for what you have blessed me and other's with! I love you very much and so does Walker!
Happy 25th birthday, Elijah~
8 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment