Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It's alright, everything is gonna be alright...hmmmmm

As I said last night today we were to find out if I would be able to sit back and relax for the rest of the pregnancy or we would be spun into another medical trauma...Well, let me give you the blow by blow!

First, DuPont Children's Hospital...Amazing! All the staff was so kind and understanding. I waited only mere minutes at each station before being greeted with a name and smiling person! WOW! I felt like I knew someone who was someone big down there b/c I felt extra special! Not one typical complaint, not one complaint at all and in the medical field (especially the hospitals) that is rare! Way to go DuPont!!!!Anyways, they were more than willing to allow Todd to be in the room with me while I got the MRI, but he opted out. After surgery two weeks ago this was a walk in the park, so fear wasn't an issue this time! (: As you all know from my surgery post...modesty is important in the hospital setting for me so when they said I could keep my clothes on my comfort level just hit relaxed! Yahoo, no changing needed, no butt crack showing, nothing but my street clothes! I slipped off my sandals and sat on the very narrow bed about the size of a banana peel. They tried to prop me with pillows, but that was uncomfortable. So, they put me on my back which was much better until half way through the process when my back began to ache. They slowly inserted my body into the "donut hole" aka MRI and put headphones that played music on my ears. I was warned about the loud noises the machine made, but loud is an understatement! It was deafening!!!! Not only was it deafening, but it was so in different tones at different intervals, so you could never really let your guard down. (I thought this might just be the place for a nap, but soon realized that wasn't even remotely possible). As soon as the noise started our sweet baby boy went into distress. (This is after the not eating or drinking for four hours to calm him down). He kicked, punched, moved and made me giggle with his protests. He moved so much that I prayed fervently that God would put a hedge of protection over him and since my hands had to remain above my head not allowing me to reassure with a pat of the belly that God allow our baby to know it was okay. His distress began to stress me out a bit then I heart, "Windsor, you are doing great! The Dr. has looked at what we have and decided we need to get some more pictures so it will be a little bit longer". WHAT?! Excuse me! Something is wrong! Oh, no I was so confident he was okay, but was I too much so! Oh, Lord help us now! What will happen now? Do I deliver here? Will his chances to live be less that 50%? How will I tell my family and friends? Do I even want to tell them today? When will I get time to absorb the news? On and on and on it went racing through my head then I felt the "banana peel" begin to move. "You are done". I walked out to my husband and told him what the "donut hole" was like, how the baby reacted and what my fears were. We really didn't say much about it and went to find food knowing we had only a short time before we got our results. After some bread, (didn't want to eat to much b/c I had a date with the hubby), a few minutes chatting with the nurse the surgeon came in. He told us that he wished he could give us more, but that they were able to see the fluid in the babies stomach, fluid in his intestines and that the track from his mouth to his bottom was all connected. DID YOU HEAR THAT?!!! OUR BABY IS OKAY! Whew, a sign of relief overcame us! Turns out our son has a little of my spirit in him...ornery, independent and in his own time! My son was just being a booger! (: Amen to being a booger!

Needless, to say instead of wrapping our brains around a diagnosis we were sure not to understand that we spent our date night trying to wrap our brains about the bullet we dodged! We talked about the what if's, how prayers work and how blessed/fortunate we are! Here we spent the day in the hospital full of children with issues/problems and a neo-natal full of babies that aren't at home with their families! Todd and I realize how lucky we are to know that as of right now we will have a normal delivery and be able to take home our baby when I come home! We talked about how amazing the life process is and how God's design is perfectly timed. After all that conversation we got to sit back, relax, enjoy dinner and each other's company. It had been a long, long time since we had a date night! I think we will have them more often before our baby boy arrives.

So, like dinner I am blessed enough to say tonight that I get to sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy with the only crisis being naming our son. (: Amen to that!

Thank each and everyone of you for your support and prayers! We are blessed to have such awesome people in our lives!

5 comments:

Donna said...

Glad everything's okay! Now, like you said...sit back, relax and enjoy this pregnancy!

What about a Todd, Jr? I'm serious!

Unknown said...

Windsor, I had to start breathing in a paper bag from the minute you said they inserted you into the donut hole until you said the banana peel brought you out. CLAUSTROPHOBIA! Having an MRI might one of my worst nightmares. GOOOOOD Job!

As for the name, I really like Nelson or William! Can never go wrong w/ a good family name.

Unknown said...

PS What's Todd's middle name?

Kristi Smalley said...

Oh Windsor...I am so thrilled for you. I know you feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from you. Praise the Lord for that good report.

You need to name him something with real significance considering all you have gone through. Let's not do, Booger, shall we? HA!

Jennifer said...

GREAT news! Now, just sit back, eat, relax, eat, sleep, eat... :)

I'm no help with the name thing because we still don't have a boy name confirmed either and we only have 8 days left...yikes!

Have a great week!