Much to Walker and my heart's desire everything went better than ever imagined!!!! Walker's heart is dancing, happy and bursting with pride!
On Friday, we didn't leave until Walker returned from school and raced down to Baltimore to meet my best friend Meghan at the airport, (on Thursday I called her and asked if she could be with me this weekend. Without hesitation she was on a plane Friday afternoon to be by my side). After a lot of rain, traffic galore and 7 hours in the car we arrived at Richard's house, (he was gone for the weekend, but his wife and he offered me the house to stay in). After a few min. of unwinding we met with Darrell. Walker talked and talked and Darrell just listened. After about an hour of them talking I asked Darrell if I could speak to him alone. For a few minutes we chatted about people we knew and then I asked him some questions. He answered them and didn't even hesitate. I had began to realize when we first talked that something was different about him, but the talk we had it was confirmed...He had grown up and so had I. The past hurts, mistakes were left in the past and we moved onto the son he just met and the one I have loved all along.
Saturday, we all went to breakfast and then went to meet up with Darrell and his wife. While we were waiting I showed Meghan and Walker my high school and noticed nothing has changed in the 12 years I have been gone. When Darrell arrived his wife got out of the truck, we hugged and I instantly knew she would watch out for Walker. (All along my nerves were shot thinking that I am going to have to trust a man I don't know any more and a woman I have never known). A few words exchanged I watched my little boy ride off with a father he never knew and a heart that was full. Within 15 min. I realized what just took place and began to cry. I was overwhelmed with fear, worried he would forget his "mommy", I might lose him one day b/c he likes his other family, that his family might not look at me kindly and if I am honest I felt left out. This is the first time I have had to "share" him with his "other" family and I just wanted to go along and make sure his ideas of his dad were fulfilled. Within mins. Meghan made me look forward and so the day went on. Around 10, (after they had dinner in a non AC restaurant) Walker called and asked if he could stay there with his Dad. I said yes, but said that I needed to see him. Darrell and Monica were so sweet and said I could come over to see him! We did just that and when I pulled up with a couple of dogs barking, an ATV sitting in the yard I realized Walker was in heaven with the animals! I talked with Darrell and Monica for a few minutes then had Walker walk me to the car. With a "cool" attitude and a smile he told me what they did and how much he loved it. On that note we left.
Today Darrell and Walker went to breakfast and then he dropped Walker off. Walker showed up with a bunch of Double G farm things...hat, shirt, pen...and one of his dad's cowboy hats. He looked so cute. Then we had to go and it was hard for Walker to say goodbye, but at the same time he was happy. After our departure we went to my sister's house to say hi and bye to her family and mom. We then headed home. We dropped off Meghan to the airport and continued home. It is great to be home!
I can't explain how relived I am...Darrell has grown up and seems to be a great role model for Walker. He isn't the man I remember, which that man might not have been as bad as I thought, but I was too angry at him to even try to see him as the father to my child. It was nice to put our past in the past and move on as two parents to a wonderful child! It is wonderful to know that Walker loves Monica...He told me today,"she is a lot like Bubba...the sweet tender part". I am so proud of Walker...It was very brave and courageous to call/meet his dad. He didn't know if he'd be rejected or welcomed! He has a lot of confidence to be able to face the unknown and I couldn't be prouder!
Finally - Monica said to me that I did a good job raising him! I am so thrilled that his wife recognized my work and complimented me! It was a first from his dad's side!
Thank you Darrell and Monica for being such great people whom my son loves and adores already! The welcoming arms you provided were enjoyed by Walker and soothed this scared mother's heart!
1 comment:
Windsor, I know that had to be one of the hardest moments to let Walker go off in the car. We will be praying that the Lord will continue to bless and grow that relationship. Reading this, I am so proud of Walker, he is acting so mature and all grown up, I know you are extremely proud of him. He did a lot better than I ever would have!
Post a Comment