As most people know...Never, ever, ever get in between a momma bear and her cubs. Apparently, the Neonatalogist yesterday was not taught that simple little common sense lesson b/c he tried to test our devotion to our son, Payson.
Here is what happened:
Payson had another great day yesterday and b/c Todd didn't have any shoots I was able to spend some extra time at the hospital hanging out with him. As I was eating lunch in the family room the Dr. came out and said he needed to speak to me. Immediately, I said "oh, no" teasing him that it must be bad news; (little did I know how right my first instinct would be). He informed me that they were going to move Payson to the Pediatric floor since he was stable and we were basically waiting for him to grow. In other words, they were getting full, needed the space and since Payson wasn't "critical" in their minds his place in the NICU was expendable. I really felt blindsided and was upset they didn't wait or ask for Todd and I to be together before making this decision. Reluctantly, I said okay and immediately went to talk to the nurses to see what they thought about this move. The nurses hands were tied and they couldn't give me "real" answers about what they thought about Payson's pending move. In order to make sure Todd was there for the move, I left the hospital to switch places with Todd and while I was stuck in traffic Todd called to inform me that they were moving Payson as we spoke. What? The Dr. said they would hold off on moving him until 7:30 when Todd and I could make it back. ARRR. When I got home we waited a few minutes for Sara to come over and watch the kids then both of us headed out.
We arrived and quickly went to the floor we were informed Payson was on. We walked in, asked where Payson was and walked right into his room not one person questioned who we were and why we were there...NOT ONE PERSON. In this room, which was a D-U-M-P, was another baby in a big crib with metal posts watching TV to entertain him, (even though it was the news), the chart on the wall still read, Tuesday, September 1st and the room reminded me of a big state run hospital. Never mind that Payson's monitors were going off and not one nurse came in to check on him for the first 10 minutes of us being in his room, (the monitors went off b/c the leads were misplaced, which happens often with him). Immediately, I became full of rage, teared up and marched straight to NICU to speak with the Dr. Todd tried to talk me out of this rage, but I insisted that he stay with Payson since I didn't feel secure in him being left alone with the lack of security. When I arrived at NICU the Dr. was dealing with a critical patient and I asked him to come visit me upstairs. He arrived about 20 minutes later and I let him know my displeasure! We stated our first observations about security, the date on the board, the baby watching TV and that Payson was a Neonate still (until he reaches his due date he is still a preemie) and shouldn't be on a pediatric floor until he reaches that date. He informed me that they were really pressed for space down in NICU and I told him that wasn't our problem, but that Payson being up on the pediatric floor was our problem. He was also informed that no mother in their right mind would allow their 1.5 week old baby to stay on a floor with less security then a daycare facility. This didn't even account for the kid in the bubble down the hall, the 18 year old across the hall from Payson's room and that sometimes they put contagious kids with other kids, (although they try not too). Payson is only 1.5 weeks old!!!! He didn't belong on that floor and had no business being there!!!!! Not only is Payson a preemie whose immunity is still weak, but he is a preemie with a medical condition that requires regular attention, not just someone to check in on him! He is a baby who needs attention too, not just another patient. We also informed the Dr. that if we had too we would do 12 hour shifts at the hospital for the weekend if he insisted on keeping him on the floor and once Tuesday hit we'd transfer him to a facility that could handle him being in the NICU until his ordeal was over not just until they needed the space. Fortunately, the Dr. said we had very valid points and he would move Payson back. He did say we wouldn't have a private room and would have to share. We understood this and didn't mind. He also told us that he wasn't sure how long he'd be able to keep a space open for Payson in NICU, but he'd try to keep him there as long as possible. After the Dr. left I lost it....I looked around and lost it! There is no possible way that I could ever leave my precious baby on that floor and be happy about his quality of care! The nurses are great, but on the Pedis floor it is 5-7 patients per nurse in NICU it is 2-3 patients. Babies deserve to have more specialized attention. Here they are not able to go home with their families and their families are trusting the medical facility to take care of their babies only for the medical facility to try and cut nursing costs. As you can imagine just the thought of our boy staying in Pediatrics scared the crap out of us!
Needless, to say we are still horrified at the thought...Okay not horrified, but scared at the prospect we will eventually have to move up to that floor. Todd and I are exploring what other hospitals can offer/guarantee our son vs. where he is now! (Anyone know anything about CHOP? If so, please let me know what you think). We are also going to explore/push, (once he is bigger), bringing him home in between surgeries as long as our medical insurance covers some in home nursing care. Please, please pray for us as we begin to explore transferring and/or bringing him home! We really need direction, guidance and wisdom (away from our emotional desires) to make the best decisions for Payson medically and physically!
Other than this hiccup, Payson, (whom was asleep during his two transfers last night) is doing great. He looks good, is getting stronger everyday, is showing more of his stubborn side as well as his laid back personality. In order to get him home sooner it is my prayer that God work his miraculous hands on Payson's esophagus and allow the two ends to be connected or just kissing the next time they look at it. I guess we should feel lucky that the Doctors chose to move Payson vs. someone else because they felt he was the healthiest of the bunch that could move, but that does little to make us feel comfortable in their decision of where they moved him! ARRR
Moral of the story: Never ever get in between a momma bear and her cub!!!!!
Happy 25th birthday, Elijah~
8 months ago
3 comments:
Windsor I would not want you mad at me!!!! I love you and I am praying for you and Payson and all your precious family....Give them a kiss for me!
HAha! Jane, I thought the same thing!!! Good for you for sticking to your guns and not giving in. You are doing your job as Payson's mommy!
Hi windsor - this is evies friend beth. Our son was in chop's picu. It seemed like a good place. Great nurses. But it is a teaching hospital. Evie can give you my number if you want to talk about it. We r praying for you!
Post a Comment