On the Payson front today...It was a big day! One that was filled with two firsts! The first big thing of the day was he got a real bath! No more little sponge baths for him. He moved up to a nice soak in the tub! At first he wasn't sure what to do, but I think after the initial shock he liked it! (Ignore the look in the first pic. I had to pick out ones that didn't reveal his man goodies. Also, the white strip of tape isn't usually on him, but it did help the tube from moving in and out causing his nose to be irritated).
The second big thing, (in normal cases this isn't a big first, but in our world this was longed for and exciting) I got to carry my son around the unit! I held him in my arms without any monitors, tubes of hindrance or lines holding us back and walked around! Break free of those chains feels like an understatement in Payson's case. It was just a mommy and son moment that I enjoyed fully! Let me remind everyone that from the beginning of his bath to the falling asleep was off his suction! That was a good 45 mins and he handled his secretions beautifully! It is a huge step for him...HUGE! He has gotten so good at handling his secretions that yesterday, I was the proud recipient of a large lugey he spit up, (if it weren't a good thing I would have totally thrown up because it was gross)! Yup, next year we will enter him into a watermelon spittin contest! Here is a little bit of our walk together, (forgive the movement, it was hard to hold him, walk and record our moment). Notice how much he looks around and takes in everything. It is so much fun to watch him experience something new!
This is him after getting settled in from the bath and walk. I just had to feather his hair!
Finally, for those of you who have asked about his head. This is a picture of the top of it. If you recall I said it looked as if he'd been scalped, which it did. Today it looks 1000 times better! In examining it closer today I noticed that in the white spots there are hair follicles which might grow enough hair to cover up his scar tissue that won't grow hair. If that isn't suffice we can do plastic surgery on him around 2-3 years of age to get rid of the scar tissue. Our doctor said that he'll be able to start a new trend...the reverse Mohawk! Only our Dr. (:
2 comments:
Dear Windsor...thanks so much for these updates and for letting us share Payson's firsts with you. You and Todd are loving him so well - you are God's grace in action. We are so praying with you for a miracle, knowing of course, that Payson already is a miracle - a beautiful, unique expression of the image of God in this world. I am learning from him already - his openness to life and love, his deep desire to 'be'. You are an inspiration, Windsor, your unflappable mother's love - one I know in huge ways, Todd and the kids inspire. Sending Hartsock love and prayers...
What a cutie patootie! Your love for your family is not the only thing that shines thru your blog posts but also the determination to press thru and trust the Lord. You are a brave girl Windsor!
Post a Comment