Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Fight Night

Tonight at church we had a marital seminar called Fight Night on how to biblical handle conflict...Don't you just love the title of the seminar? Great marketing and it caused us to get interested! (: It was great to be able to hang out with some of our community group members and eat a quick dinner beforehand. It was also great to gather with fellow Christians to discuss conflict resolution between spouses. The most valuable pieces of information I took from tonight is that: Hostilities greatest enemy is Grace, that hostility is as much at home in our house as we are. Grace can only be accomplished through Christ and by acknowledging your sin, owning it and confessing it.

Now that you know what we did tonight; let me rewind back a week and briefly go over what has been happening:

Thursday as Payson lay peacefully sleeping on my chest, (and me peacefully sleeping with him on my chest), I got a phone call from Sara who was watching Margaret Ruth. So, I texted her and told her Payson was on my chest could it wait. When she replied no I knew it wasn't good. Immediately, I put Payson back in the crib and ran out to make a phone call. As soon as she picked up the phone I heard Margaret Ruth screaming. Sara informed me she had fallen hitting her head on a very solid walnut coffee table of hers causing Margaret Ruth to get a large gash in her head that will need stitches. (What?! Seriously, God is one in the hospital not enough? I am now convinced that God has a movie theatre playing my life for comedy relief or for a soap opera entertainment. Not sure which one, but it one, possibly both! (: )If anyone knows Sara they know that she doesn't say "go to the hospital" lightly. This is a woman who gave her boy’s boxing gloves and told them when they have a dispute to go into the back yard and punch each other until one bleeds then stop. Knowing this, I ran out of the hospital to grab my little girl and take her to the ER. When I arrived at Sara's she was calm until she saw me then she started crying. I scooped her up and took her to the ER...Ironically we ended up in the same hospital as Payson. As we sat in the waiting room I was highly aware of the coughing, green puke buckets, face masks and helpless people. I became very nervous being there and found a little nook away from everyone else. In this nook there was a revolving door which caught Margaret Ruth’s attention. As we sat there she’d watch the door stop and start. When someone would use the door she’d wave and smile all the while having a large gash that was bleeding. It was very cute! I can't begin to tell you how "dirty/germy" I felt and couldn't wait to take a shower! Both Todd and I agreed that it was best to not visit Payson until each of us had a shower and changed clothes. We just can't risk him getting anything! Once we got back to a room I realized that I needed to pump so I just called upstairs and asked them to bring down my supplies so I could pump. (Seriously?! This is another episode I feel is heaven’s entertainment) As Margaret Ruth lie on the bed with me and I pumped the ER became aware of our situation...being that Payson resides in the NICU and we were now in the ER. I think they took sympathy and went above and beyond to make us comfortable as best as they could. At first when the doctor examined Margaret Ruth and informed me she'll need stitches I was confident they wouldn't need to use the restraining board. I told the Doctor as soon as her dad gets there he can hold her and she'll be fine. Hahahahaha, what was I thinking! When the nurse walked in to put a non-stinging gel Margaret Ruth went NUTS. After her little episode, (which I realize was fear) I immediately said we would need the restraining board. Great! So, to make a short story even longer…Margaret Ruth received 6 stitches above her eye! We are surprised it has taken this long for her to get stitches. She has NO FEAR and has such an adventurous side. Within one hour of returning home Margaret Ruth was back on a coffee table jumping off, (much to our dismay). I think Sara (who has shed many a tear) is more traumatized by this then Margaret Ruth. (:

Here is a picture of the injury before sutures:





She was just thrilled to be restrained on the board and I had to take a picture of her not moving for a few minutes, (mean mommy ).



The after shot:



Nice hugh?

This is for my non-facebook friends: On Saturday the little Miss was over at Sara's again when she began to dig through her diaper bag. Before long she had found two plastic covers to her sippy cups. She then stood up and put the plastic covers on her boobs. Oh my! I guess when you have a NICU baby you pump a lot...maybe too much if you 20 month old imitates the action!(:

Halloween is so over-rated, but if I didn't love seeing the kids get dressed up (and if I am honest the candy) then we'd stay home! Such a pointless thing to do, but it does give an opportunity for great pictures. While I was getting Margaret Ruth dressed for the night Todd disappeared and this is how he returned:



Yup, he came downstairs as Scooby Doo. This wasn't any Scooby Doo costume it was a too small for Todd costume. Nothing was left to the imagination...I mean NOTHING! Now, the manufacture put size adult, but I don't think they counted on Todd trying to fit in it. The legs of Scooby are particularly hysterical because the material runs out half way down Todd's calf. Only my hubby! I must say he gets extra bonus points for why he bought the costume and wore it around. 1. It was only $10 2. He thought if he dressed up in a costume then maybe Margaret Ruth would dress in hers. Sweet hugh?
(I did not pick or pay for the outfits the boys have on. I wasn't happy with their last minute purchase, but it is what 12 year old boys want when they scare kids).




Margaret Ruth got tuckered out just getting ready!



She lives.



This is how Payson spent his Halloween. He has the right idea!



Overall, it was a great night with the family! I was sad though not to have Payson with us. I guess I feel guilty for living life while he sits in the hospital awaiting surgery. It is a tough feeling to deal with! Soon enough, soon enough! (The countdown...8 days until the study and 13 for possible surgery...Yahoo!!!)

On the Payson front: He is doing Great! He almost tips the scale at 11 lbs. and looks very healthy! Over the weekend there was talk that he might have a hernia, but after discussing this with the doctor they determined it was extra fluid. I plan on bringing up to the surgeons still for the "just in case" aspect. If it did turn out to be a hernia I would want them to do it during surgery. We have also decided to have him circumcised at this time as well! Get it all done while he is knocked out! Today, he was able to latch on for a few consecutive minutes! I was so proud of him! Because he hasn't eaten orally and has a tube that he associates as something bad in the back of his throat the doctors expect him to have oral aversion. So, with this latest accomplishment I am hoping this oral aversion will be avoided! I was also able to change his diaper without him falling apart or even whimpering! Wahoo! Someone put on their big boy pants! He has also discovered the world around him. His monitor provides constant entertainment for him, his hands constantly move around grasping at things and his legs kick/move, (he loves to do push off of things in a leaping motion). Despite where he resides, I love going in and spending time with him.
What a week! Glad it is over!

2 comments:

Melissa F. said...

Glad she's okay...she sounds a bit rambunctious! Lots of trips to the ER in your future maybe?! :)
How did you meet Todd?
Do you guys have a Rottie?? Kevin had a female Rottie, when we were first married...she was really sweet.

Donna said...

OUCH! Those pictures made me cringe!!! Poor thing. I'm glad she's doing better. Love the story about the sippy cup shields on the boobs. Caroline did that once with the breast pump:)

Love the costumes, too! That Payson is getting to be such a big boy! So sweet.