Monday, November 16, 2009

More information from the Surgeon

Payson is back in the room resting comfortably and even woke up for a few minutes to look at us. He followed me with his eyes, which comforted me. What a sweet love he is!

So, here is a summary of what the surgeon said:
(There were two surgeons on his case. The first one drew a picture and explained well, but the second one, whom we'd been dealing with more, explained it simplier to us).

They were able to connect the esophagus! That in itself is a great accomplishment! Payson has the rarest of the 5 types of atresia because the upper pouch was connected to the bronchial tube, (instead of the stomach being connected to the bronchial tube as in the more common cases). It was an interesting case because he was connected not only to the bronchial tube, but also had a sausage link looking connection between his esophagus and his stomach. So, from the top end of the esophagus, where the pouch was, there was a string that connected to a smaller pouch which connected to another string that connected to the stomach esophagus. Did I lose anyone yet? Remember all those times I would write about Payson having a look of panic like he was suffocating...well he was. By having this rare form of atresia (his upper pouch connected to his bronchial tube and the connection was lower then the flap that we all have to prevent secretions going into the lungs), when he would have excretions that got backed up they would drain into his lungs thus causing him to feel as if he was suffocating. If you are lost, I am with you, but here is what I found on a website that might help:


Type C: Esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula (0.8%). Type C is a rare form of EA/TEF in which the upper segment of the esophagus forms a channel to the trachea (TEF) and the lower segment of the esophagus ends in a blind pouch (EA).

Read more: http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/Ce-Fi/Esophageal-Atresia-Repair.html#ixzz0X2ycy8H4

So, technically God did have that miracle I asked for by having that sausage link in the middle unfortunately it was rendered useless and they had to cut it out. The surgeon feels when they go to test the sutures next week it will leak. If it does leak they will put off feeding him for another week to let him heal further. If it doesn't leak they will begin to feed him. Once they are able to start his feeds our next big hurdle will be teaching him how to swallow. He has spent the last 83 days developing a negative reaction to things in his throat, so it will be a long road to overcome this issue. The surgeon also believes that Payson will have reflux issues which he will need to have surgery to correct. They aren't sure if this surgery will be done during this hospital stay or if we will come back at a later time to do it. They are also confident that he will have to be stretched a couple of times.

Despite my initial reaction all of this is good news and I am okay. It could be far worse!Payson handled the surgery great and seems to have some discomfort, but is getting meds for it. A wave of relief has come over me having gotten a easier to digest explanation and by having had a chance to absorb the information. Yes, I am a little disappointed, but I am okay with it. I know I am blessed beyond words! God is good and faithful! He has proved this over and over these past few weeks to which I am grateful! He did give us a miracle in Payson and that they were able to connect it today! Now we continue to pray for fast proper healing with little complications!

Thank you Lord for keeping my baby safe and here with us! Praise your name!

5 comments:

Bill & Ramona said...

We are so pleased that they accomplished their objective! God's grace will be abundant for any remaining challenges and we'll continue to pray for the Lord's perfect timing for every step of the way. Our hearts remain with you in prayer!

jane said...

You are precious.....I love you and will continue to be praying for Payson. He is quite the fighter. Thanks for the explanation....I understand more but still don't get it all......You explained it well.....Love you and give my love to each of your other little ones.....Please tell them we love them.

jane said...

Walker is not such a little one! But give him a hug from me....

mamag said...

How grateful I am for all the blessings God has bestowed on baby Payson. He is really taking care of this precious little boy and must have some great plans for him.
I love you all so much and continue to pray and praise.
Aunt gigi

Kristi Smalley said...

I am so glad to hear the good report about Payson. I know you are so relieved that hopefully the worst is over. I pray that God will continue to give you guys strength and peace and continued healing of sweet Payson.