Tuesday, November 17, 2009

So-So Night

Last night was a so-so night for Payson. Earlier in the evening Payson kept moving his head from side to side which caused great concern for me. I was so afraid he'd rip out his vent, but by the Grace of God's hand he didn't. It didn't matter how much morphine he got he'd still drift in and out of consciousness, wince as if he was crying and flail his arms and legs. After an hour of this the nurse asked the neonatalogist to order him another drug...Whew did that due the trick. He has been comfortably resting for the past 12 hours! Even though I hate to see him like this, I much rather he be drugged to the max. and on a vent so he can rest and not feel a thing. They say the pain will heighten in the next day or two then begin to dissipate! Sorta like lifting weights, you don't feel the pain of it until a couple days later. I guess around 5:30 am the nurse came in because his sat. levels were down and she found a blue, angry baby! (Angry in the only way a baby can on a vent...quiet facial expressions). She worked quietly but quickly, (I didn't even wake up until the episode was almost over) suctioning him tenderly, pumping air into his lungs and giving him a breathing treatment. Once he stabilized he had a raspy sound to him, so they x-rayed him and found he had air in his chest. So for the past several hours they have been slowly working it out of his chest with a water machine that has a tube connected to his chest drainage tube. Poor guy! They have since taken another x-ray and said the air pocket in his chest has been reduced so they'll continue to use the machine until the pocket is gone. Last night we also noticed he was pretty swollen and his stomach distended so the nurse decided to vent his g-tube. If you could see air run, you would have seen air bolt out of his g-tube. I clearly heard a ton of air come out and saw his stomach reduce in size. Amazing stuff! So, as I sit here watching him I see a little boy who is now fixed, can swallow his excretions and is completely in lala land. God is good!

Todd and I will be switching early this afternoon and I will go home to hang with the kids while Todd sits here. If Payson is still on the vent I will come back to sleep here tonight, but at least i will get a good nap and a nice shower at home first. Sleeping at the hospital isn't nearly as bad as one might think. I am very surprised how comfortably I have slept the last few nights...It could be comfort or maybe that Tylenol PM I have taken?! (:

1 comment:

jane said...

You be sure and rest and know that we are praying for each of you......Love you....