Thursday, November 19, 2009

Off the Vent

Late yesterday afternoon, Payson, really turned a corner!!!! He was still drugged up, but would be pleasantly awake for an hour or two. Last night he just hung out looking at whoever was talking to him, held my hand and pleasantly waved his arms around! (: It was at this point I knew he was ready to come off the vent, but it was understood we'd wait until this morning before taking him off. So, 12 hours later Payson was still having periods of pleasant awake time and it was decided to take him off his ventilator for the second time!!!Wahoo!!!! When they did take him off he cried for a few minutes, was a little startled and needed a breathing treatment, but quickly settled down and has been staring at himself in the mirror ever since! His breathing is still a bit labored, but nothing to how it was! I really feel we have turned a corner and will never have to look back! Confidently, I feel we can end our 24/7 vigil at his bedside and return to our everyday routine visits. Can you hear that? It is the whoosh of relief that has just come over me! We are here, finally here at this point! After 86 days in the NICU we are finally at the recovery period. The waiting for growth is over, the surgery done and the extreme discomfort of the recovery has passed. Now, we wait for the study on Monday to see if any leaking will occur. Once he passes that we can start his feeds and come home! This doesn't mean we don't have a long, long road ahead of us because we do, but we will be able to travel down it in the comforts of home with some doctors visits. AMEN!!! Wow, I just can't believe it...We have arrived at a good place! Thank you Jesus, Thank you!

Since baby boy is awake I am going to end this to hang with him. Thank you all for believing in such our faithful God and praying for our little boy! We are very blessed to have so many who care and would take the time to pray for him! Thank you!!!

1 comment:

Bill & Ramona said...

This is such wonderful news! We are rejoicing with you and continuing to pray for an amazing recovery! "My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,when I remember you upon my bed,and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63:5-8