Thursday, January 21, 2010

Okay, Okay

So, what I know isn't much different from last night. We are still waiting for the cultures to grow to figure out what antibiotics will best squash this bacteria. Fortunately, the doctor did say that we caught the infection early enough to avoid sepsis! Praise the Lord! In his medical ramblings today he is hard pressed to try to get the PIC line out of Payson, but before we can do that we need to know the strain of bacteria and how to treat it. The best case scenario is that both the blood bacteria and bacteria in his trach can be treated with one particular antibiotic. This antibiotic can be given in the muscle which would allow us to remove the PIC line and avoid any further IV use. WooHoo! I did ask him what is the long term consequences of Payson being exposed to so many different antibiotics? He talked about the one the are currently treating Payson with and mentioned that it has some visual/hearing complications. In order to avoid that they have to check/maintain his blood levels. If the strain is something more severe they will have to put him on a antibiotic that will make him a bit nervous because it is the antibiotic that they use to kill the hardest most resistant strains of bacteria. When they use that the patient then develops a immunity against the antibiotic thus not allowing them to be able to use this potent drug to help conquer these difficult strains. My head is spinning! Do I still have any readers left after that long back and forth talk? Whew!

Aside from the unknown, Payson looked much better today! He had some of his color back, but had a bluish tint. At one point he began to drop his numbers and turned blue around his mouth. I told the nurse and he said that this is the point where we begin to bag him then suction him. It was a perfect teaching opportunity for me b/c I just stood there saying he is turning blue not thinking what I should be doing, but the nurse helped talk me through it. Payson spent a majority of the time sleeping (healing) and didn't share any precious smiles with me. At one point he was so uncomfortable and unhappy that I just picked him up and rocked him. I hadn't been able to hold him since Monday morning, so it was nice to be able to do so. He seemed to settle down then he got a case of the hiccups. Poor boy! Talk about being kicked while your down! Here he is battling a major infection, recovering from abdominal surgery then he gets the hiccups that cause him pain in this abdomen. ARRR! I want to scream for him!

On a funny note: Today Margaret Ruth was being watched by one of our community group friends. She said that she was working out with some weights when Margaret Ruth came in beside her and began to work out with her. Paula was lifting dumbbells so Margaret Ruth picked up some light ones and she started doing the same motion as Paula. Then Paula took some breaths out of her mouth and Margaret Ruth did the same thing. Paula was quite amused by her copying her! I wish I could have seen her!

Back to the main man. Tomorrow at 8 am Payson will have his sedated hearing test! I fear that he is partially deaf, but Todd doesn't think he is. We have been looking forward to this test for a while now, so please pray that they will be able to have the perfect environment to perform the test and that the results will be clear! As of right now we are discussing a discharge date of 2/2, but that has yet to be confirmed. At least there is another goal!

Oh, yea...we finally have installed a french drain in the basement. Now we can move forward with finishing the basement to give us some extra room! WooHoo.

1 comment:

Melissa F. said...

You still have my attention and prayers. I think about you and Payson and the rest of the Bauders gang daily. I am so proud of you...even though this season of life is difficult you still honor the Lord and keep things authentic and open w/ Him. What a great testimony Windsor.