Friday, February 26, 2010

40 minutes and counting...

Over the past few days we have been pushing Payson further along off his vent and today he made it to 40 minutes just fine! WooHoo! Slowly, but surely we will get to the 12 hours off the vent that will make life a little easier to transport him. What a glorious day that will be when we don't have to take the 110 lbs. of medical equipment every where we go. Heck, it will be a glorious day when we have no wires or tubes hindering him! The thought makes me smile with joy!

Payson did have a little bit of a bluish episode tonight! One that made me nervous enough to call our nursing company when I couldn't reach Todd. His symptoms included a high heart rate (above 180), inconsolable crying, and sweating. I spent some time bagging him with oxygen, holding his hand and working through scenarios with our faithful nursing company. If you remember crying causes his trachamalsia to worsen and even though he does have a vent taking breaths for him his airway can close up. So, crying wasn't helping matters and I couldn't get him to calm down no matter what I did. After a few minutes we decided to put him on some oxygen, vent his g-tube and stop his feeds. When I vented him I got a lot of gas, which has been a constant issues the past few days and he seemed to immediately feel better. At lease he stopped rubbing his belly! Oxygen works wonders in Payson's case and helped him calm down quickly! He has remained on oxygen ever since and I expect to wean him through the night. Right now I have a sleeping soundly baby with a heart rate in the 120's, (still high for him to be asleep, but not enough to make me lose sleep). Now if only oxygen could help baby girl to sleep...ARRR She has been giving us a run for our money lately when it comes to sleep. I guess if we are going to have one good sleeper then it serves us right to have a 2 year old who isn't. Anybody have any ideas to help us out here?

On a bright side the boys are close to finishing the basement! Boy oh Boy I can't wait to have that extra room for our monsters to destroy. It will be such a nice addition! We feel so blessed that God had put it on these men's hearts to help with the basement! In more ways then one!

We survived another snow storm last night and are looking at another one coming in next week! I must admit I love the thrill of the kids getting the call that school is closed and the idea that the world slows down even for a brief second. Never mind it is beautiful! Despite all this I am so ready for some nice weather and the smell of pretty flowers~

1 comment:

Bill & Ramona said...

Hi Windsor, you have been such a trooper in all of this. As life goes on in the trenches of medical menagerie, please know our prayers go with you as well. God has been so faithful...we so anticipate the day when the wires and tubes are no longer needed!