Friday, February 12, 2010

40 plus inches of snow in less than a week with more to come!

Words can't describe how sick and tired I am of snow!!! As soon as that realization hit, the news gently tells us that on Monday we are supposed to get another 4-6 inches. Seriously?! Is this some sort of joke? In all honesty, it has been years since we have had a good storm so we were due one, I rather they not be one after the other! Despite the consistency of these storms it is fun to get snowed in with the family (and nurse), watch the snow cover the trees, take walks in the quietness of the storm and go sledding! I have a feeling we will be sledding for weeks to come and might not see the ground again until 2012. Oh, well snow+kids=memories.

Yesterday was Margaret Ruth's 2nd Birthday!!! It was a fun one at that! She had her way all day, (what's new) and got to spend the afternoon sledding. She first discovered sledding with the December storm and remembered it fondly, so she was excited to be able to go again! Then we had her favorite dinner...B'que Ribs and one of her favorite people came...Bubba! Yup, she's a meat eater and boy does she like her some good ribs! I still haven't figured out how she manages to get the sauce in places that shouldn't see food. Amazing! When I brought in the cake man oh man watch out she was all over it! We sang quickly and then she dug in. If I recall correctly she went straight for the icing! A few presents later, bath and a read of a new book she wiped out! It was a good day for all! I will post pictures in a few days...

If you all remember it was my goal all along to have Payson home in time for Margaret Ruth's birthday and well he was! It was a sweet moment! Since his hospital overnight on Sunday I have tried to have Payson around the family more and get a routine start. One night we all sat at the dining room table when I pulled the high chair up and put Payson in it! He is just as much a part of us as I am. I am bound and determined to try to make this "normal" our "normal". He is part of the family sick or not and needs to participate with us for everyone’s good! Let me tell you this is no easy feat especially with nurses needing to do their assessments and perform their jobs. Kindly, I release them from being on top of Payson to allow them to do their documenting, notes, eat a meal or take a break. They all have welcomed this opportunity and have quietly left (the room, not the house) to give us some privacy. Yet, on most nights we have invited the nurse to hang with us and partake in any meal I have made. On top of wanting Payson to be a part of us I want everyone who walks in my home to feel welcomed and apart of things employee or not! Everyone is family here. Apparently, we are becoming famous among the nursing staff. Everyone reports back to corporate that we are nice, friendly, accommodating and laid back. So many nurses have said that when they work in other homes they are stripped of any freedoms that they might have and have to have an eye on the child at all times. I have informed them if Payson becomes unstable then we will have to be more stringent allowing anyone to leave his side, but if he is asleep why can't they clean out his suction canister?! I rather them clean it then leave all his secretions fermenting in the tubing and canister! Whew, that can be gross!

I must say despite our circumstances we have been ultra blessed with many nurses whom we are fond of! There are some we could leave or take, but for the most part everyone is pleasant, sweet, respectful and lovely! We really love our nurse who is from Africa. We sit and talk for hours what life is like here and back home for him. He is very smart and articulate! All of us have enjoyed learning about another culture. We are amazed how people from his country who have come over will help others who come over. There is a close group of people who help, support and aid other citizens from Africa! I am jealous how beautifully they take care of their own! It is something we should emulate!

As our 24/7 nursing winds down our fears are beginning to build until then we will use them wisely and take time to sled with our kids! (:

1 comment:

Bill & Ramona said...

How kind of the Lord to bless Margaret Ruth's b-day with snow and Payson home! Praying Payson remains stable and grows in strength and stamina! Especially praying for upcoming transitions in level of nursing help. Love you guys!