Sunday, August 12, 2012

How fast life changes!

I can't tell you how many times I wrote in my head a post and just never got around to it. There must have been 20 or 30 written in my head. I guess half of it has been laziness and the other half wonders why anyone wants to read about our problems when this country is in a state of desperation. Yet, I do find that this blog can be therapy and if no one reads it that is fine at least I have gotten it off my chest. Well, a lot has happened in the short time I haven't blogged. Some of the happenings are good others not so much, but we are still chugging along and for that I am thankful. Let me start with the kids: Walker and Zach both finished their freshman year on honor roll. They have been fairly lazy this summer, but at 15 this is most likely the last "lazy" summer of their lives. Early in the summer we forced both of them to attend 24/7 with the church youth group. Basically, it is an at home missions trip. They camped on the grass at church, "showered" outside and spent the week having fun and serving others. Despite the kicking and screaming it turned out God had a plan. Walker recommitted his life and was baptized that week. I had the honor of watching Walker be dunked under that water and the tears couldn't be held back! So, proud! After that both of them endured the "awful" two week vacation down in North Carolina. Instead of staying in a house full of little kids age 9 down we decided to let them stay with my grandfather. Best decision ever! It was a much needed break from routine for my Daddy Bill. He loved talking to the boys, asking what they did that day and listen to them be boys. The boys on the other hand had a whole mountain top to roam free on. They loved it just as much as Daddy Bill loved having them. It warms my heart to even think of it now! A couple days before we were to leave NC I got word that something had happened on the mountain with Zach. When I asked what it was I was thrilled to learn that my grandfather had prayed the sinner's prayer with Zach! I was so proud and happy to know my two sons had chosen to follow Jesus. At 94 years of age I don't think my grandfather felt he could still make a difference in a young man's heart. I made it a priority to let him know God still needs him in this world to make a difference even if it is one person at a time. God Bless my grandfather! My grandmother is dancing in heaven with how graceful he has become in his older years! As we finish out the summer Walker is working as a life guard and dating a girl, (please pray for that one...whew). Zach is enjoying the last of his summer days and will head back to his mom's next week. I have enjoyed having them both home and our family complete. Margaret Ruth is moving beyond the stomping phase. Not sure if she grew out of it or if it was when she stomped and cried I'd tell her I'd give her a reason to dance. I think it was 2 or 3 times before she really understood the meaning of that. She has become such a little lady; crossing her legs in the car, carrying a purse, rocking her babies asleep. It is funny how many times I have heard her repeat my words! Like all of us she was in North Carolina and had a blast. My sister's third child is three months younger than MR and they hit it off. They played for two weeks straight beautifully! Never a mean word, nor a disagreement! My sister and I enjoyed watching them bond! MR also went to "fubs" aka clubs where they tie dyed a shirt, went on walks, went to the pool, sang silly songs, etc She is experiencing what I did as a child. I can only hope she will love Montreat as much as I do. After that trip we had a couple weeks back home, but one week involved Payson being hospitalized, so we packed her up to have camp grandparents. She was the center of attention from Grandma and Grandpa Young! She loved it! She also has a cousin out there who is three month older and they spent a lot of time together having sleep over’s, helping grandma and being little girls. It was such a blessing for me not to have to worry about MR while I was stuck in the hospital. Todd was able to work and come visit freely. All while MR was having fun. Payson - deep sigh...Shortly after my last post we found out that Payson had a new diagnosis of bronchiectasis. In short when he was lying down in the hospital (we assume) some gastric acid refluxed and went into his lungs. His airways/lungs had been permanently damaged....Sigh...In a nutshell this means that Payson has a lung function of a CF child. His life expectancy isn't altered, but he is going to have lifelong medical interventions. They increased his inhalers, added a neb treatment twice a day, ordered a vest and informed me that when Payson was sick they would treat him aggressively instead of passively. They also ordered a vest that would provide consistent chest PT unfortunately the insurance declined it, but I appealed. Anyways, it took me a couple of days to recover from the news. I was disheartened and frustrated that this temporary status had now become permanite. My heart just bled! Yet, as a mother of four you can't be down long so we picked up and I put my focus on the insurance company battle for the vest. After our trip to NC I had threatened to bring myself, Payson, Todd, Walker, Zach, MR and our nurse down to appeal the decision and explain why I felt it would be beneficial for Payson. The morning of the hearing I got a phone call stating that they had reversed their decision and Payson could have his vest. WooWee!!!! I think threatening them with an appearance made a difference, but also that God guided the medical director’s decision. Thank you Jesus! While in NC Payson and my grandfather bonded over the medical interventions they both had. Daddy Bill is old and feeble and there is Payson young and medically dependent. Payson was impressed that Daddy Bill had a vest, so now when he uses it and fusses we tell him "Daddy Bill wants you to do it with him" works every time! Payson enjoyed the mountains and the break from the every day! We were glad to get him home close to his doctor’s b/c he had gotten sick while we were on vacation! Between May and the end of our NC trip it became clear that Payson needed to return to the Ventilator. Without it his O2 levels in his blood are in the lower 90's and they really need to be 95 plus. In stride we put him back on the vent full-time knowing that since we were unable to remove the trach this year that we might as well let Payson really rest while he sleeps. His numbers at night have been beautiful. All he needed was some CPAP. We did spend some time in the hospital and that was well...pointless. The only thing we gained from the stay was that he has some bacteria in his lungs that we can't treat unless it rears its ugly head. GREAT! The doctor is unsure how to treat it without causing Payson to build up immunity towards some antibiotics. So, for good times he put us on Zithromax. It is an antibiotic that he takes Mon, Wed, and Fri. Just another thing to add to Payson's to do list. It was also confirmed that in Payson's esophagus he has a shelf that would cause Payson to get food stuck there. Ahh Haa, we suspected that might be the case. After the hospital we headed off to Ohio for a week and Payson loved every minute of it! That leaves me here at today...It is just another day where I have no complaints but a boat load of prayer requests. If you think of it; please pray for Todd's business. We have hit some snags and need to refocus our attention back on the business.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

You are amazing! I admire you more and more.