Last night was a rough one for Payson. The nurses said he was extremely uncomfortable and when they took him off the ventilator he wanted no part of having to breath on his own. He got very lazy (just very uncomfortable for him) so after 40 minutes of being off the ventilator they had to put it back in. They also gave him morphine which eased his discomfort. He spent the rest of the night in little discomfort and in lala land! (:
This morning when I called he had spiked a little fever, but that seemed to have worked its round by the time I showed up at 11 a.m. When the day nurse came on she noticed that Payson's excretions (spit) that go into his pouch (the end of the esophagus) had gotten thick. She said when he started to get upset if she suction the heavier excretions he seemed a lot happier. So, today they have stayed on top of his suctioning and he has even begun to cough when he needs some help. It might sound gross but he really is moving in the right direction. When I walked in his room this morning he was very alert and moving/squirming around, (not in pain, but a happy squirm). When I was at one side of his bed and his head was turned in the direction away from me he would move his eyes in my direction trying to look at me. (: He did this several times and then I moved to where he could see me without straining his precious eyes. He moved his eyes back to the direction of my voice and just stared...not that he can see me, but he did know I was there. The nurses were amazed at how much he responded to me just being in the room! (Nothing like a emotional boost from my 4 day old). (: He spent about 45 minutes awake and moving. The nurse had to perform a few tests and then swaddled him...Boy oh Boy did he love that! For the next couple of hours he didn't make a peep! He was so peaceful and comfortable that when asked if we wanted to hold him we held off b/c we wanted him to have good rest! We were told that they would try to take out the respirator today, which they did and put him on a CPAC...don't even know how to describe this, but it is a breathing apparatus that isn't as invasive as the respirator, but it does go further back then what he had been on previously. By the time Todd left tonight they hadn't gotten him off the CPAC and just on the little oxygen tubes...Maybe tomorrow. They are also hoping to start feeding him breast milk tomorrow, but he needs to be okay breathing first.
I know it isn't much, but that is the update for today. I have a feeling that this is going to be a similar story for the next six weeks until they can measure the distance between the two ends. (:
I know I have said this before and I will continue to...Thank you for your prayers! Our little boy is so lucky to have the prayers he has coming his way. We also find comfort in knowing so many people are praying and loving us whether they know us or not! We are eternally thankful...eternally thankful!
Happy 25th birthday, Elijah~
8 months ago
2 comments:
Know that your new little boy is in our prayers and all of you. Know this is beyond traumatic. Love the pictures of him. Love to you, Sandy Links
Realize the comment about pictures of him sounded weird because of all the attachments. But I loved seeing him. Sandy
Post a Comment