Friday, August 21, 2009

What is going on!

Since my last post we have accomplished many of the things that was on our to do list. Yea!

Margaret Ruth's room is painted and we are awaiting the hard wood floors to be refinished next week before officially moving her over. Zach is moved into his new room that Todd built a nice cedar closet in. Todd did an amazing job and should be so proud of himself! We sure are! Baby boy has a room that is decorated and ready for him, but he will not use it until he is older and Margaret Ruth is ready for a real bed! Todd also finished the patio...looks great. I will have to post pictures at another time. To bad I don't have before and after pictures, but trust me my husband has done an amazing job getting things finished and looking beautiful. I am so grateful for his talent and desire to do things beautifully. Since the Dr.'s feel I will go anytime I also made 20 meals for us and have them frozen awaiting the day we need dinners. The only thing really left is to clean out the fridge...YUCK. Other than that we are waiting for baby boy to arrive and of course Todd's busy, busy season to begin next week.

As far as the pregnancy here is a letter I wrote to my family to get them updated on what is going on. Sorry it isn't a personal update from me on here, but it is full of the information we have at hand:

Todd made it through his procedure yesterday okay. He had some discomfort last night, but it seems to be minimal today! We are relieved to have this off our plate and taken care of as I am sure some of you are as well. No more babies for us!

Anyways, I wanted to give everyone an update on the little man. In true “Windsor” fashion, we again were unable to monitor his heart rate yesterday. Every time they would find it he would kick the monitor off and move. Despite his persistence on not wanting to get monitored they were able to get two increases in heart rate which is what they needed. He still has arethma, but they are not too concerned about that and feel it will go away at birth. When they checked my fluid levels I was still nice and high. All this means is I look/feel full term and beyond. I can’t tell you how many times people have commented on my belly thinking I am due any day or carrying twins. My dr. has gone so far as to call me a belly with sticks. GREAT! God must be trying to teach me something b/c everyone wants to talk to me about my belly and I just want to go about my business and not converse with strangers. Oh, well! The high fluid levels can also trick my uterus into thinking it is time to go into labor, so far my body isn’t responding as if it will go on its own, but we will see. He also gets extra playing room that allows him to switch positions easily. So far he has remained head down for the last two fluid scans. He is also practicing his breathing technique which is a comforting sign he is preparing for arrival.

On last week’s ultrasound they again were unable to see his stomach once again heightening their fear that something might be wrong. So, our Dr. set up a time for us to meet with the NICU Dr. so that we could feel comfortable. Yesterday before Todd’s big procedure we met with the Dr. in NICU and he was very honest and informative. Scary for us, but informative and we feel prepared in the event there is a blockage in his digestion track. Here is what we know as of right now:

High amniotic fluid levels can indicate that there is something wrong such as diabetes, swallowing issues, digestive track issues, etc. We have ruled out diabetes, but the others can’t officially be ruled out until birth. Despite seeing the stomach on the MRI, but considering ultrasounds/MRI’s are black and white they could have been mistaken. They do not feel it would be beneficial for me to get another MRI b/c that would just add stress to me and the baby when there is nothing they can do about it until he arrives. When I am about to deliver they will call in the NICU Dr. and after we say our hello’s they will take him, place a small tube down his throat…

If this tube seems to stop/hit something he will be taken up to NICU where they will get an IV started, get XRAY’s and begin testing. They have already warned us they will want us to stay away for a time so that they can get him hooked up and settled. If the XRAY shows that there is an obstruction baby boy will be transferred in a matter of hours to either CHOP or DuPont to have surgery. It would be our insistence to have him taken to DuPont where we have already had some (great) experience with their surgeons and team. We have been told this isn’t a minor surgery and it is a big deal. The severity of how big of a surgery it will be depends on how far the tubes are apart from each other and other complicating factors. Even though we were advised not to go with the baby in transport we would insist Todd go with the baby and once they arrive at the hospital Todd go sit while they get baby boy settled. It would be my plan to check myself out of the hospital to go be with baby as soon as possible. Needless to say this information has heightened our fear factor.

If the tube seems to go in all the way, but he spits up after every meal the above will go into effect until they can prove he is okay.

If the tube goes in, he checks out okay, they will shrug their shoulders and tell us there is just no explanation for the high fluid levels and lack of stomach visibility. Todd and I both feel confident that this is the issue. We just don’t feel as if something is wrong, but feel comfortable that if there is we are informed to help us get through the first 24 hours of his life.

So, just keep this little boy close to your heart and prayers as we continue to draw near to his arrival. Also, be aware in the event that the worse case was to happen that we might not be able to be reached or communicate as much as everyone would want. You will have to give us time to swallow this on our own before we can begin to digest it to others. We will just have to wait, pray and see what is next!


I hope to return blogging soon, but forgive me if I don't. Please hang in there with me as we are a little busy!

1 comment:

Donna said...

TWENTY MEALS?!!! Windsor! What kind of a freezer do you have? I hope people will be bringing you meals, too. Wish I lived closer to you so I could bring you a good meal one night.

I'm so sorry to hear about all the possible issues with your sweet boy. You all are in our prayers. I can't wait to see pictures of him!